Saturday, October 27, 2007

Week 7 - Technology

Technology is absolutely wonderful. I have grown up with computers, video games, etc... so naturally it plays a larger role than it may in others. Facebook and Myspace are some of the more recent booms in computer technology. While there are other social networking sites, these two are the largest. I myself have both a Facebook and Myspace accout and use them frequently. While they do come under some fire from time to time, I think that if someone uses them in a mature fashion, then they face very little risk in getting in any sort of trouble from having an account. For example, on either of these websites, users are allowed to posts pictures. Many times, users will post pictures of themselves in a rather immature manner. I have no problems with this seeing as I am a young, college student who is not immune to having some fun (no matter how childish the act may seem) myself, but I do use some caution in deciding what to put up on my accounts. I don't put anything up that could possibly land me in hot water. I use my best judgment to allow me to express myself while also keeping it relatively mature.

One of the biggest downfalls to both Myspace and Facebook can come at your own expense. It is a fact that some employers will go looking for the Facebook and Myspace accounts of someone they are going to or have just interviewed. So as an example, let us say John Smith interviewed for his first job after graduating. He went to a prestigious school, did well in all his classes, finished relatively high in his graduation class, and seems like a potential good employee for Company X. Well, if Company X finds photos of John Smith drinking away at a dorm party while he was still in school, or if he says that he enjoys "Sex, drugs, and rock n' roll" as his interests, this greatly reduces the chances of him getting the job he applied for. And while you would hope that the company and the people doing the interviews will remember what it's like to be young, it is best to use wise judgment.

As a whole, I enjoy Myspace and Facebook. I've found friends that I lost contact with and in my generations technology driven world, it helps me keep in touch with both friends near and far. I think it's positives outweigh it's negatives

No comments: